Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What protection do I need for a 15hp rotary phase converter?

I bought a capacitor panel and 15hp 3 phase motor rated 38amps/230v to build a rotary phase converter to power my 7.5hp pressure washer. The washer motor is rated for 21amps and with diesel heater the whole unit is rated for 25amps. The panel manufacturer says that in the panel, there is a relay which automatically starts the 15hp motor. I assume this "relay" also disengages the start capacitors when the motor is started. Reading the NEC code book, it looks like I need more "protection" -thermal, overcurrent, etc... The manufacturer of the panel says a 50amp circuit breaker is enough.

I'd like this phase converter to be up to NEC specs. What else should I add to this system to make my local electrical inspector happy, and allow me to sleep at night. I'm installing a smoke detector in the garage which will be connected to my home's fire alarm system.

NEC code citations, make/model info, and general specs on needed devices are greatly appreciated.What protection do I need for a 15hp rotary phase converter?
Your best bet is to call your local inspector, have him come over, show him everything you got, and what you want to do.



My experience is that they are very helpful, and glad to be involved with the project before it is started. It makes their work much easier at the end, by saving time and conflict.
  • matte lipstick
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment