Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Want to replace the factory head unit in my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. Wiring Question.?

No Bose system with factory sub and on-star. The factory amplifier for the speakers is behind the glove box. I'm not worried about keeping the on-star working, I was just going to bypass it. I was going to order a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993 off of Crutchfield and get the factory GM wiring harness with it so I can solder all the wires outside the car and just plug it straight in to the stock harness. Quick and easy. My question is, will that hurt the factory amplifier and will there be a sound quality improvement if I go this route? I was told at a stereo shop that I would need to bypass the factory amp if I want to install a new head unit and that I would lose the factory sub...or buy a $70 converter that regulates how much power goes to the factory amplifier and I could plug straight into the stock harness. Not sure if they are just trying to get me to spend more money there or what. Need a second opinion. Let's hear it!Want to replace the factory head unit in my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. Wiring Question.?
Well theres alot of factors you have to figure out before you just install your new head unit. Your way could very easily work, but with OEM amp and onstar alot of problems could arise. First off, I don't know how on-star was set-up in 2001 but nowadays alot of thoser vehicles components are all tied together in one big network so removing the OEM radio could disrupt this network and stuff from your door-ajar singal to your signals and meters could be lost. So you might have to get a bypass module(a little box about the size of a cigg carton) to do the "networking" job your OEM radio used to do. You should check online to see if your particular vehicle needs one, or you could call Chevrolet.(But do your research, they might tell you how its recommend that you buy a factory bypass and BS, not every car needs one. And now to the OEM amp. Heres the problem, most likely the speaker leads on your harness are probably ran thru your amp, so unlike the OEM, your radio would be sending speaker singals(not RCA signals) to the speaker input of your amp which would be BAD! But don't listen to the shop theres a easier way. First check the ohms of yours factory speakers(if they're factory), sometimes manufactuers use 3, 6, or 8 ohm speakers, and that would affect the load on your unit. What you want is 4 ohms. You should use a Digital multimeter, buy or rent from home depot.(or ask shop to do it) if its 4 ohms then you can start buy running speaker wire from the speakers directly to where you connect the radio, and instead of connecting the unit's speaker leads to the harness connect to the pre-ran wire, therefore bypassing the OEM amp. and remove the power leads to the OEM amp to stop addition power consumption , seeing how you won't be using it. Hope this helps..Want to replace the factory head unit in my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. Wiring Question.?
i replaced a factory stereo on an a 02 silverado kinda the same concept on installation but i didnt hear no differnce on musci quallity

No comments:

Post a Comment