Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I'm putting together a 15hp rotary phase converter. What protection do I need?

I bought a capacitor panel and 15hp 3 phase motor rated 38amps/230v to build a rotary phase converter to power my 7.5hp pressure washer. The washer motor is rated for 21amps and with diesel heater the whole unit is rated for 25amps. The panel manufacturer says that in the panel, there is a relay which automatically starts the 15hp motor. I assume this "relay" also disengages the start capacitors when the motor is started. Reading the NEC code book, it looks like I need more "protection" -thermal, overcurrent, etc... The manufacturer of the panel says a 50amp circuit breaker is enough.

I'd like this phase converter to be up to NEC specs. What else should I add to this system to make my local electrical inspector happy, and allow me to sleep at night. I'm installing a smoke detector in the garage which will be connected to my home's fire alarm system.

NEC code citations, make/model info, and general specs on needed devices are greatly appreciated.I'm putting together a 15hp rotary phase converter. What protection do I need?
The biggest GFI for whirlpools you can find for starters.I'm putting together a 15hp rotary phase converter. What protection do I need?
Did this capacitor panel and 3phase motor come together as an assembly or were they purchased separate? A motor is required to have overload protection as well as branch circuit protection, but if this a complete assembly it is probably included in the assembly. I'll check my code book shortly and get back with you on the exact info you need. .... After reading your question multiple times, it's sounds like this was purchased as an assembly. If this is the case , the only protection you need to worry about is the 50 amp breaker to feed the capacitor panel, the wire size (this would be a #8 AWG), and the receptacle with a 50 amp rating. All other requirements should be included in the panel. If this panel was purchased separately then the motor protection requirements are: 430.6(A)(2) the overload protection based on the nameplate which is 38Amps, Table 430.250 will give us the amps of the motor per the codebook (15 hp/230V/ induction style motor=42A) Table 430.52 to find the max size the fuses or circuit breaker for the branch circuit 42A x 250% for a inverse time CB = 105A or 42A x 175% for time delay fuses = 73.5A, then use 240.6(A) to get the standard size fuse or circuit breaker, which would be 100A for the CB and 70A for the fuses.{Note: this is the largest they can be to allow for starting without exceptions} Now for the branch circuit conductors 42A x 125% [430.22(A) motor rated at continuous duty] =52.5A which is your branch circuit conductor size and the wire would have to be a #6AWG. This is allowed from 430.6(a)(1)There are a lot of if's and but's to this, and with out all of the information it's hard to give you an exact. Hope this helps more than it confuses. Email me if you need any help.

No comments:

Post a Comment