Saturday, February 11, 2012

Do 2003 expeditions stock stereos have RCA outputs?

The stock unit has the 6 disc changer and is a nice deck that I don't want to change. I don't feel like pulling out the entire dash to get to the back of the stereo just to see if it has RCA outputs. If it doesn't have the RCA outputs will it be worth it for me to splice into the rear speaker wires to add a line out converter?Do 2003 expeditions stock stereos have RCA outputs?
Nope! ha. I have an '01 Expedition, I feel your pain.



The HU is really easy to get out though for future reference, get these pullers from Scosche



http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d鈥?/a>



The rear speaker wires are a task that wasn't fun for me to fish out.

Every online wiring chart was not matching up with the wiring on my expedition.

I had to take apart the door and locate which wires went to the window switch and which went to the sub.

Then all you do is get some butt joints and cut the speaker wire, and then crimp the new wire in one end of the connector and the speaker wire in the other (once you've stripped it).



Do this for both speaker wires in each side, and run them to the amp.



For amps, I DO NOT suggest getting a LOC! You will LOSE so much sound from it.



Look into an alpine amplifier. I got the mrp-m850 for around $250, pushes out 850 watts RMS at 2 Ohms. It is a mono amp but you could run two wires out of each connection and run at 4 ohms (425 watts RMS). The Alpine amp has a special connector that you crimp (or solder) your rear speaker wire extensions to and plug that into the amp. It has alot more sound than with a LOC, but still will be a bit quieter than if you had RCA's.



I currently use one 10" Alpine Type R in a custom sealed box, and it shakes the Expedition relatively well, though I am pushing 850 watts RMS into a sub rated at 500 watts RMS. If it doesn't last, oh well, I'm moving up to the Type R 15. Hehe.



Hope this helps. If you need help with the install feel free to ask (especially for where to run the power wire thru the firewall-I found the perfect spot)Do 2003 expeditions stock stereos have RCA outputs?
No stock radio has RCA outputs.



You best bet is to get a LOC (line output converter) to convert speaker output to RCA level output.



Many amps today do not need a LOC and have one build in, try look for one that does.

No comments:

Post a Comment