Saturday, February 4, 2012

Do I need a DVD tuner If I use a Converter Box Attached to My Antenna ?

I have to replace a broken DVD player/VCR that is currently connected to my antenna and then to the analog TV. I have purchased a converter box to get ready for the big change come next February. In the local computer stores, virtually none of the DVD recorders have digital tuners. Do I really need to get a unit with a digital tuner if the signal from the antenna is first going through the converter box? It is my understanding that the converter box selects the channel signal coming through, so would a unit without a tuner work fine in this case ?Do I need a DVD tuner If I use a Converter Box Attached to My Antenna ?
(This answer assumes you are located in the US but the principals are the same in other places)



You can use a tunerless DVD/VCR but you will not be able to record one show while watching another. Unless you bought a converter with a "VCR timer", you would also not be able to program the recorder to record on multiple channels.



I would pay extra for a model with a tuner, but if you don't watch much TV, a tunerless model might be good enough for you.

-------------

PS



Most areas already have more digital TV broadcasts than analog, the "big change" next Feb is that most of the old analog broadcasts.



If you buy a tunerless model and decide you want more recording options, you can attach a second converter to it. Zenwell has a model that sells for about $50 ($10 after coupon) that has a "VCR Timer".
Connect a converter box output to the DVD recorder input and connect the DVD recorder output to the TV. Now you have a setup that works.Do I need a DVD tuner If I use a Converter Box Attached to My Antenna ?
no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!鈥?br>


Do I need a DVD tuner If I use a Converter Box Attached to My Antenna ?
no way
You are presumably in the USA even though your question is posted on the Ireland Only site. Anyway, the same principles apply on both sides of the "pond" so please read on...



Your converter box will adapt the incoming signals to work with your analogue tv set, but if you connect it to your DVD recorder you'll only be able to record the same channel that you're watching. That would be restrictive and pointless.



You should buy a DVD recorder that has a built in digital tuner or you will regret it in a few months time. Do this even if it means that you look further afield than your local shops.



You should also buy an aerial splitter so that the same down-lead can be used to feed the television and recorder. These are cheap enough, even for powered ones.



Try a tv shop rather than a computer store or even buy on-line from a reputable manufacture such as Panasonic. You won't regret that even if it costs a bit more.



If you can't get one then you must invest in a separate tuner box for the DVD recorder. The problem with that is that you won't be able to pre-programme different channels for future recording.
  • makeup advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment