Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Connecting Head Unit Without RCAs To Amplifier?

I have just installed my brand new FLI 1000w 12" active sub. (FLI 250 amp) During installation I found my head unit doesn't have RCA outputs and the amp does not have a standard red/black speaker cable clamp connection.



I decided to strip the wires from my parcel shelf speakers then cut and twist them together with the RCA cables supplied with the amp. The RCA cables seemed to have much thiner wire than that of the original speakers.



On first testing I experienced very minimal distorted bass and the "protect" light often came on stoping the sub working. Then after playing with the adjustable on the back it tends to do exactly the same thing. I did get it outputting a considerable amount of bass at one point but was still distorted.



If it helps the "gain" control seems to cause the protect feature to turn on the most. I've ordered a line output converter to converte my original speaker cables to RCA outputs, I just want to know if this is likely to fix my problem? Is it possible that the thin RCA connected to the thick speaker cable is trying to pull too much and causing it to go into "protect" mode?



Can anyone tell me the common solutions to this problem on brand new setups? I hope I don't have to get anything else other than this line converter.Connecting Head Unit Without RCAs To Amplifier?
High-level, low impedance outputs (speaker) into low-level, high impedance inputs will do just what you described. Cause noise and distortion.



The line output converter should correct the problem.Connecting Head Unit Without RCAs To Amplifier?
You need to purchase new RCA... Then you need to purchase a "High to low output converter" (about $30). There will be probably 6 wires on it (2 grey, 2 white, 2 black). You do not use and cap off the black wires. The grey wires you will run in line with the left rear speakers, putting negative and positive accordingly. You will then do the same with the white wires on you right rear speakers. You can most likely look up the colors of the factory speaker wires on www.the12voltforum.com. WARNING - Even if the colors are given on the website for your type of vehicle, it is a very wise decision to test the speakers first with ideally a low voltage speaker pop. Don't have one? You can you a square tiny battery (I can't remember the voltage right now sorry lol, but i'm sure you know what I mean). After confirming the correct factory speaker wires strip them back and attach the converter wires as mentioned before. Run the rca's from the obvious jacks on the converter to the input on the amp. Assuming all else is connected to the amplifier and subs correctly you should have sound.



Extra installer bits - To tune the amp turn the radio bass down all the way and turn the volume up louder than you like to listen to it.

- Also... make sure the amp is powered and there is sound coming out of both subs before reassembling the dash and whatever else has been disassembled.
  • eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment