Saturday, February 11, 2012

Converting between units for thermal conductivity (check my work)?

I'm trying to convert 10 BTU路inch/hr路ft虏路掳F into W/mK. But I can't get my answer to match up with what the online converter is giving me. Here is my work:



10 BTU路inch/hr路ft虏路掳F = 10(1054.35J)(0.0254m)/(3600s)(0.3048m)虏(鈥β?br>
= 0.0031287 W/mK



But the online converter I'm using (http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_conve鈥?/a> is giving me 1.4413 W/mK. Any ideas where I've gone wrong? I've tried other converters as well and they all give me the same answer...Converting between units for thermal conductivity (check my work)?
The online unit converter is correct.



You probably are making the mistake of using 1 Fahrenheit to Kelvin as the unit conversion factor. This is a mistake, because they do not share a common zero point.

You need to use the conversion between exclusively the "size of the degrees"...not the actual temperatures.


There are 1.8 Fahrenheit degrees in each Kelvin.

No comments:

Post a Comment