Friday, January 27, 2012

What size power supply (AC to DC converter) do I need for a car stereo?

I am going to hook up a car stereo inside a weatherproof box on my deck and I need to find a power supply to run it. I want to find something that I can plug into the wall that will supply enough 12volt power to run the stereo.



How many amps does it need to produce to avoid tripping the unit? Most of the ones I've seen at Radio Shack, etc., only produce about 10 amps. Is this enough? I am going to hook up 2 of the Bose indoor/outdoor speakers to it, and that's all.



Any suggestions for a small, reasonable, power supply that will do the trick?What size power supply (AC to DC converter) do I need for a car stereo?
It's easy, just buy a AC/DC power supply 12 -14v and 5-10 A. that should work fine. Also you can get a computer case power supply which work just fine, just find something to isolate the power supply.What size power supply (AC to DC converter) do I need for a car stereo?
Ideally get the rating off the nameplate.



Unfortunately 12v automotive equipment often doesn't give input power or current so the next best is to measure it connected to a battery. A cheap multimeter will measure dc amps.



Choose a power supply a little bit bigger than what you measure. Make sure its well regulated otherwise you will get ac hum and may even damage something.



10 amps would actually seem more than enough. I used to run automotive CB equipment from a 13.8v, 5A regulated supply, these are sold in the same place as CB radios and would probably do your job.What size power supply (AC to DC converter) do I need for a car stereo?
For a standard in-dash car CD player, a 10-amp power supply will be more than enough. Since you're only hooking up two speakers, even a 5-amp power supply would probably work.



Here's a 6-amp and a 10-amp unit for a decent price:



http://www.adleraudio.com/web/mdl/PS8KX/鈥?/a>

http://www.adleraudio.com/web/mdl/PS12KX鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment