Friday, January 20, 2012

Catalytic Converter needs work, how should I go about this?

For most of 2008, my service engine light has been on in my 1996 Ford Taurus G 3.0L 4 door sedan. I had the light checked and it was coming back with a catalytic converter issue. I researched the converters on various auto parts websites, and the price range varies heavily. You can get the converter piece by itself for as low as $70, or you can get the entire unit(converter connected to all the Y-Pipes and can easily be bolted on) for $300-400. However, how would I know what way to go? Is there a way a body shop could pull the converter and check to see how bad it is, or if it is clogged? I don't want to spend $400 unless it's absolutely mandatory.Catalytic Converter needs work, how should I go about this?
A check engine light that gives a converter code could be an O2 sensor (after the converter). The old school way to check a converter is to beat on it (gently) with a hammer. If it rings, it's generally good. If it sounds like it's full of sand, it's bad and the only way to fix it is to replace it. Your skill level in auto repair should dictate which way you go to fix it. Can you weld and cut the pipes?if so, go for just a replacement converter. If not, get the bolt on pipes and all. Option #2 is, take it to a muffler shop. Check your muffler too, sometimes they clog just like a converter. Good news is...used converters are recyclable, sometimes getting good money.
Let's do something else - let's spend $0 and get the word "issue" upgraded to "needs replacement" and let's add a reason why in there too. You might be able to do that at Autozone, but only if the code tells them exactly what's going on.



"catalytic converter issue" is not specific enough to spend money yet.Catalytic Converter needs work, how should I go about this?
Is it a "catalytic converter efficiency below threshold" code description or something like that? If this is the case, it could quite possibly just be the oxygen sensor after the cat.Catalytic Converter needs work, how should I go about this?
Go to an independent muffler/exhaust shop. They usually can replace the converter only in less than an hour for about a hundred bucks.
Call around to the junk yards in your area and even a little out if you have to. If a wrecked car still has one in it they can sell it a lot cheaper than otherwise. That's about all I can tell you. Call the garage and see if it costs more to take it 0off...labor is expensive. Getting the whole one off a wrecked one and just replacing the whole thing is best in my opinion.

Unless you live in a state that has mandatory testing you really don't need it. I just cuts down on emissions, it is still as good as any other car. The engine light on my 2006 Dodge Caravan is always on because it's sensor is not working. It's not worth fixing it to me. I keep my oil changed and everything maintained. If it has a problem I have to take it in anyhow. Right?

Good Luck Miss Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment